About the REIC Edmonton Chapter
The Edmonton Chapter serves members from Red Deer through to Northern Alberta. The Chapter is your local source for networking and professional development. We organize seminars, luncheon, and special events for members to learn, connect and expand their business contacts. The Chapter conducts local outreach activities to promote the Chapter, REIC, and our members to local employers, students, and the public.
The Chapter is run by an active and dedicated group of volunteers supported by an administrative staff.
The Chapter is engaged in a range of activities throughout the year by:
- Membership education
- Chapter interviews
- Member and Candidate support mentoring
- Promotion and assist in organizing education events
- Annual golf tournament
- Building tours
- Identify potential corporate clients
- 2014 – Barry Williams, CPM, ARM, President of the IREM Chapter, and Shami Sandhu, FRI, CRES, President of the REIC Chapter, handed over the Presidency to Roseanne Evans, CPM, ARM and the IREM Council was formed.
- 2015 – Yolanta Murphy, CPM, becomes the second President of the merged Chapter. Our LEDA endeavour won the Chapter the Innovation Award from IREM.
- 2016 – Yolanta Murphy, CPM, continues on as President.
- Chapter membership currently stands at 198 members (May 2016).
REIC Edmonton Chapter
The Edmonton Chapter was established in 1955
- In 1955 the Canadian Institute of Realtors (CIR) was formed in Edmonton by Jack Weber who became the first President.
- In June 1962 the Edmonton Chapter was formed and Jack Weber was its first President with 16 charter members.
- 1964/65 – CIR celebrated their 10th Anniversary. The Edmonton REIC Chapter hosted the convention/meeting of the National Governing Council.
- 1988 – Lillian McLeod became the first woman President.
- 1997 – AGM was co-hosted by REIC/IREM Chapters at the Edmonton Sheraton Le Grande Hotel.
- 2000 – Began hosting joint luncheons and meetings with the IREM Chapter.
- 2008 – The REIC Chapter won the Don Hill award for the chapter with the most growth.
IREM Edmonton Chapter
The IREM Edmonton Chapter was formed in 1966
- In 1966 the Edmonton Chapter was started by George W.T. Grover with 5 members.
- The Edmonton Chapter was the first in Canada to commence the Friends of IREM program which allows non-designated persons/firms to interact with our designated members.
- 1987 – First Annual Real Estate Trade Fair sponsored by IREM and REIC Chapters at the Chateau Lacombe. The Trade Fair eventually developed into a Property Management Trade Fair and was run annually for many years.
- 1997 May – co-hosted with REIC Chapter, the National AGM at the Edmonton Sheraton Le Grande Hotel.
- The IREM Chapter won the Don Hill Trophy in 1980, 1982, 1993, 2001 and 2002.
- 1995 – the Chapter hired our first Administrator — Steffany McHalister. IREM Chapter sets up a committee to look into a merger with the REIC Chapter.
- 2000 October 10 – Started having joint luncheons and meetings with the REIC Chapter.
- 2006, May – co-hosted the AGM “Experience the Energy” in Edmonton.
- 2006 – The first International Canadian Region of IREM #14 was created. Chrystal Skead became the first Regional Vice President to represent Canadian Chapters.
- 2006 September – Sharon Radford became our new Administrator.
- 2007 Lucien Roy FRI (E), CPM, CMOC, became the National President of REIC.
- The IREM Chapter received a 5 Star Chapter Award in 2010 and a 4 Star Chapter Award in 2012.
- 2013 the IREM Chapter became a Council within the REIC Edmonton Chapter.