Download Your FREE Insider’s Guide!
Get an inside look at real estate designations with this FREE eBook. The Insider’s Guide to Getting Your Real Estate Designations will show you how to earn more and be more successful in your real estate career.
CLO - Certified Leasing Officer
The Certified Leasing Officer (CLO) designation recognizes the proven specialist in leasehold acquisition, disposal and administration. The CLO program prepares professionals for the complexity of today’s real estate leasing decisions, providing the tools and resources that will help expand your career and business opportunities.
This rigorous, specialized education program gives you the edge in every aspect of the leasing process, from acquiring space to administering a leasehold.
Earn the CLO Designation
To obtain the CLO designation you must:
- Submit an application to become a Candidate Member
- Complete all education and experience requirements
- Adhere to REIC’s Code of Professional Ethics
- Maintain your membership with REIC
You no longer have to fulfill an experience requirement to become a CLO Candidate.
Becoming a Candidate member with REIC is your first step towards achieving an REIC designation.
- Download the candidacy application form, and complete the package.
- Sign and date the application form indicating your acceptance of the Rules & Regulations.
- Attach current resume and any appropriate real estate education transcripts.
- Include 3 letters of recommendation (from employer, colleagues or associates).
- Include a non-refundable processing fee of $275.00 plus GST/HST. Credit Card, cheque or online payments (via your bank or REIC website) are accepted.
- 2 University/College electives
You must have a minimum of three (3) years of creditable experience (actively engaged in leasing activities for a minimum of 50% of your working day) before you can be granted the CLO designation.
Refer to the application form for full requirement details.
- Pledge to uphold the REIC Code of Professional Standards.
- Be current with your annual national and your chapter dues (if applicable).
- Complete the peer interview requirement.
How do I become a CLO candidate?
Becoming an CLO is simple. Submit your application, any relevant documents and non-refundable processing fee of $275.00 plus GST/HST and you are on your way!
Do I need to be a candidate to take the CLO courses at REIC?
No, it is not necessary to be a candidate; however, you will be charged the non-candidate rate for courses, events and products. By becoming a candidate you may save over $800.00 just on your course registrations alone!
How much does it cost?
By becoming a candidate, your costs will be significantly lower. A candidate is required to pay dues, both at the national and chapter level. As chapter dues are set by each chapter, overall costs will vary depending on location. The approximate candidate costs (without tax) are:
- $275.00 processing fee for application
- $500.00 average for annual dues
- $3,525.00 for the education component (depending upon your province)
How many courses do I need to take?
This will depend on your previous education. There are four (4) REIC courses which make up the educational component of the program. Please note that 2 University/College Electives, Real Estate Law or Business Law are also required and are not offered through REIC.
How long does the education take?
You set the pace for your education. Courses are available in classroom format and some may be available by home study. If all courses are taken in the classroom, it will take 15 days. This is subject to availability. Once you are a candidate, the Education Department can suggest some available options.
When do I become a member of REIC?
Right away! As soon as you are accepted as a candidate, you are considered a member of REIC. Please note, candidate members are considered “non-voting” members and cannot participate on the National Board, Committees or Task Forces.
When can I start to use my designation?
You will receive regular updates from the admissions department regarding your progress. Once you have successfully completed the program, you are able to use your designation and you will receive your designation certificate and pin.